Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Thursday, March 4, 2021

Third Saturday of Lent by Jackie Priestaf 3/06/21


Scripture Reading: Psalm 46


He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” -Psalm 46:10 NIV


In recent years I have spent some time learning more about labyrinths and the purpose behind them. I was looking for ways to get closer to God and at the same time practice some self care and self discovery. What stuck with me is the process of releasing or focusing on something on the way toward the center, gaining insight or revelation in the center, and then (hopefully) bringing that back to the rest of your life.
This week I have spent more time than usual out in nature–sitting, hiking, taking pictures, just being present in the moment and with the people I am with. I realize that I experience a special closeness to God through nature. God speaks to me through nature, His creation. This is the prominent way God speaks to me. When I am stressed, have a decision to make, a hurt to process or an idea I want to explore I often seek out time out in nature among the trees, beside the water, in the mountains, or on the beach. Hiking or walking in nature is the most frequent way I submerge myself into nature. It hit me the other day that for me this process is like walking a living labyrinth.
Whether I am fully conscious of it or not, I usually have a desire, something on my mind, as I set out on my walk, hike, or trip. I release it to the wind and the trees, wrestle with it in my footsteps, and feel it flow around my body and out with my breath. Whether I end up at the top of a mountain, by a waterfall, or around a river before heading back home, something always flows back in and gives my thirsty soul life. For me it can be a feeling, an idea or resolution, a perfect photograph or even simply God’s peace. On my way back home I carry what I received in my communion with nature, the living labyrinth, and bring it back to my more routine moments.
This process is not a one time event but rather one I participate in relatively frequently. Although not as frequently as I wish I did. It never looks the same, even if I start at the same spot. Sometimes it’s a fast paced climb to the summit of a mountain pushing every fiber of my being, other times a leisurely walk around the river, or sitting quietly on a dock beside the water, propped on a downed tree by the water or in a gazebo in a forest. The method I choose to interact with nature doesn’t really matter, but my intention and mindset behind what I am doing does.
I need to use Kingdom eyes to see and appreciate the beauty all around me that He has placed before me. I need to stop, be still and listen for God’s still small voice if I am to have any chance of hearing it. I need to remember that the God who created all that I am experiencing and enjoying also created me. He is present with me not only in these moments but in all the moments. By spending time in His creation, the living labyrinth, I can escape the chaos and noise of the world and re-center myself, reconnect with God and as a result recharge myself.
--Jackie Priestaf

No comments:

Post a Comment