Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Maundy Thursday by Woody Garrett 4/01/21


Scripture Reading: 1 Corinthians 11:23-26

"When he had given thanks, he broke [the bread] and said, 'This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.' In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.'"
-1 Corinthians 11:24-25 NIV


During the Lord's Supper, Jesus instructs the disciples to take the bread -- his body -- and the cup -- his blood -- in remembrance of him -- the first Holy Communion. This was on the eve, Maundy Thursday, of his imminent crucifixion on Good Friday.

At Long Memorial, Holy Communion is held the first Sunday of each month and other special dates. However, due to Covid-19, Communion has not been held for a year (since March 2020). The service is an important part of the Methodist schedule and of great benefit to the congregation. With Covid-19 cases decreasing, we'll resume the sacred meal this evening with precautions like having the service outside. This is a huge answer to our prayers. Like the author of Psalm 107, we "give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever" (v. 1).

I came across this poem by Elizabeth Cheney in a Billy Graham devotional book I've been reading. It's been particularly meaningful for me during this season, so I'll leave it for you to meditate on the words:

Said the robin to the sparrow,
“I should really like to know,
Why these anxious human beings
Rush about and worry so.”
Said the sparrow to the robin,
“Friend I think that it must be,
That they have no Heavenly Father,
Such as cares for you and me.”


--Woody Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment