Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Monday, March 22, 2021

Fifth Tuesday of Lent by Linda Mabe 3/23/21


Scripture reading: Psalm 122


“I was glad when they said unto me, ‘Let us go into the house of the Lord.’”
-Psalm 122:1 KJV


Psalm 122 seems to have been written by David for use of the people of Israel as they followed the Jewish law which required three annual pilgrimages: Passover, the Festival of Weeks (Pentecost), and the Feast of the Tabernacles. This psalm, along with others, was written as what is called “A Song of Ascent” and was sung by the early pilgrims as they ascended the road to Jerusalem, traveling to one of these three great festivals.

As modern-day Christians, we may not identify with Jewish requirements to make pilgrimages or even what it would be like to sing as we ascend on the road to Jerusalem, but we can certainly apply Psalm 122:1 to current days. In fact, having the first verse of Psalm 122 designated for this day of our “Lenten Devotions” could not be more appropriate. Discussions will be held this very evening to address how we can safely resume meetings in the Long Memorial UMC sanctuary.

David says he was glad when they said that it was time to go into the house of the Lord. I get that part!! Like many of you, I miss our worship services. I miss being together; I miss the beautiful sanctuary; I miss the children who inspire my worship; I miss Holy Communion; I miss the feeling of being together as we hear the word of God; and I miss the music and the singing. I understand, of course, but I yearn for the time when we can be in person to encourage one other.

I know that no building can contain all of God and His greatness, and clearly, “the church is the people,” but I still look forward to seeing you when we are able to be together as a community of faith.

See you there!


Prayer: Dear God, Lead us as we plan to move back into congregational worship. As we reconvene in person, give us a new appreciation for one another. Help us to follow you, and equip us inside the sanctuary as we strive to “be the church” outside of the sanctuary. Amen.


--Linda Mabe

No comments:

Post a Comment