Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Thursday, March 18, 2021

Fifth Friday of Lent by Chris Atkins 3/19/21

 

Scripture Reading: Romans 8:28-39

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?" -Romans 8:35 NIV

Take a moment to read Romans 8:28-39; now, read it again. In fact, we would probably benefit from reading these verses every day. I know that Paul was not writing specifically to people in 2021 living in a global pandemic, but it sure feels like the exact words of encouragement we need to hear. “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:38-39).

The past year has certainly made me feel “separate” from the love of God. I’ve only physically been to church a few times, and fellowship and worship are two huge components of my relationship with God. Sunday mornings have always brought me closer to God. Reading these verses is a reminder that God has not moved; he is always present and is just as close today as he was before COVID-19.

What does my feeling of being separate from God reveal then? How can I move closer to God? It stands to reason that I am the one that has moved away from God; God never moves away from us. Moving toward God means surrendering time and attention to him. After all, that is what I would do to improve any relationship. For me, that means spending more time in prayer, more time reading his word, and more time listening/singing hymns or praise music. In essence, giving God the opportunity to bring me closer to him. It is God alone who has the power to change my heart and improve our relationship, but I have to be willing.

These verses and the state of our world reveal to me that my walk with God has become a relationship of convenience, and, now that it is not conveniently scheduled on Sunday morning, it has become stagnant.

I cannot wait for our church doors to open again; virtual church is just not the same. But, until that day comes, I am encouraged through these verses to continue to pursue a relationship with God. After all, nothing can separate us from the love of God, not even COVID-19.

Prayer: Lord, forgive me for not prioritizing my relationship with you. You remain steadfast and ever present, even as I stray. Encourage me and my fellow church members to seek you and spend time with you daily. In your name I pray, Amen.


--Chris Atkins

No comments:

Post a Comment