Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Sixth Wednesday of Lent by Tommy Humphries 3/24/21


Scripture Reading: Psalm 130

"Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord. Lord, hear my voice! Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications!"
-Psalm 130:1-2 NRSV

How many times have we wondered, “Why is this happening to me?" Psalm 130 speaks to prayer for deliverance from our personal problems. It tells us that God’s nature is merciful and we eagerly go to him for help and understanding of our problems. Many times we are impatient, but in time God will answer our prayers.

I remember September 2007 when the doctors told me I would need a heart transplant to save my life. It was at this time that I began to wonder what I had done to be this sick. I began to question my eating habits, my lifestyle, and my relationship with God. It was not a question of why me but more of a question of what had I done wrong. It was a time of reflection and prayers.

My prayer would always be for strength and courage. I prayed for God to take me in his hands and show me his love and grace. It was not a prayer of why me Lord, but one of why not me. God answered my prayers and gave me the strength and courage to wait almost two months for my new heart. God will answer our prayers if we are patient. He will show us his mercy and love if we go to him in prayer and, in time, our prayers will be answered.

Prayer: Dear God, we know at times we are impatient. We ask that you give us patience in our prayer requests and trust in your mercy and love. Amen.


--Tommy Humphries

No comments:

Post a Comment