Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Fifth Monday of Lent by Kolby Golliher 3/22/21


Scripture Reading: John 9:1-17

"As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me."
-John 9:4a NIV

The poor man in this story had been born blind. Jesus's disciples assumed someone had to have sinned for this to happen -- a typical view in the first century A.D. Unfortunately, the disciples showed no interest in actually helping the blind man, only discussing his condition. Jesus gently corrects them, assuring them the man's blindness wasn't caused by sin. He goes further by reframing the situation altogether: it's not a question of why is this person blind but rather what can God do in this?

Last semester I had the privilege of taking an introductory Preaching class with Dr. Luke Powery, the dean of the Duke University Chapel. It was a wonderful course; I learned all kinds of skills for writing and delivering sermons. Perhaps the most profound lesson I received from Dean Powery, however, came in the form of a catchy proverb: "The most important sermon you'll ever give is the one you preach with your life."

Every day we have an opportunity to show God's love to others, to preach with our lives. Even in these days of Covid-19 -- perhaps especially in them -- we can find ways to come alongside our neighbors and proclaim God's grace and mercy. Here Jesus teaches that he's the Light of the world, and he also taught elsewhere in the gospels that we are the Light of the world (see Matt 5:14-16). This passage encourages me to wonder less about why Covid-19 exists and more about what or how God is calling me, and all of us, to preach with our lives.

Prayer: Merciful and loving God, you truly are the Light of the world. Grant us the wisdom to respond to your love by preaching it with our lives, sharing your goodness and mercy with all whom we can. Amen.

--Kolby Golliher

No comments:

Post a Comment