Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Fifth Thursday of Lent by Cheryl Allen 3/18/21

Scripture Reading: John 6:41-51

"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." -John 6:51 NIV


The Eucharist and Easter are closely tied to each other. Our communion practice gives us the opportunity to experience the bread that makes us "live forever." Easter is the time to worship God through Jesus' death on the cross and His resurrection for all of us because the bread that he gave "for the life of the world" is his flesh. Do we remember this when we partake of the blood and body of Christ when we experience Communion? Do we remember His sacrifice at Easter?

When I was a young girl in a Methodist Church, I originally didn't understand Communion and its symbolism. Gradually, though, with the help of my church teachers, leaders, and my family I began to understand. It was a special experience when I received Holy Communion for the first time, and I felt the seriousness of it. The blood and body I received on that Sunday had lifetime significance for me. I felt different; I felt special. I felt sad, thankful, and joyful, to the point of tears. My life hasn't been the same since that day. I am blessed every day with the love and sacrifice of the Son of God. I appreciate all that I've been given in my life: my wonderful church, loving and supportive parents and grandparents, loving friends, my husband and two children, my extended family, and the beautiful world around us.

Thought for the day: Remember the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made for us, and reflect on how you can make a difference in the life of someone else today.


--Cheryl Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment