Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Lenten Devotions - Introduction


Today begins the Christian season of Lent - forty days of preparation for Easter.  Our pastoral intern, Kolby Golliher, has organized an effort to collect devotions and reflections written by our Long Memorial friends, to help guide us through.  Thank you Kolby!  And thank you to all who have contributed to make this possible.

The world is disorienting. As I type this, we are digging out from an ice storm, and about to be hit by another.  It is Ash Wednesday, but the ongoing pandemic prevents us from gathering together, and the power outages and internet disruptions have kept us from even an online observance.  I hope that you will find guidance from God to humble yourselves and thank God as you seek God's direction and forgiveness, even though we can't participate in our normal routines.  Perhaps more than ever, the truth of this verse is for us:

"For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God, rather than burnt offerings."  Hosea 6:6 (New Revised Standard Version)

It is our hope that you might be reminded of God's love, and the love of our church, as you journey through Lent accompanied by these devotions.  

May we love one another with steadfast love, and grow in our knowledge of our loving God this Ash Wednesday, and throughout this Lenten season.

--Pastor Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment