Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Friday, February 19, 2021

First Saturday of Lent by Linda Mabe 2/20/21

 



Scripture Reading: Titus 3:1-15


“But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy.” -Titus 3:4-5a NIV


The third chapter of Titus spoke to me in several ways. The verses remind me to be careful to be a good citizen by obeying the law, to avoid quarreling, and to be considerate and gentle. I do those things...most of the time. So, I do have room for work in these areas.

More importantly to me, however, this passage of scripture explains clearly that, as Christians, when we devote ourselves to doing what is good, it is not because we are better than others, but because of what God has done for us. Thus, appreciation to God for his mercy is our motivation.

This idea of why we do good works reminds me of something my dad, who served as the pastor of a small rural church, used to say. When a member of the congregation seemed to be thinking that doing good was the price owed for God’s love, my dad would lead them away from that way of thinking by saying, “We can’t ever ‘out-give’ God.” Then, he would explain the futility of even trying to “earn” the gifts we receive from God.

Thinking about the third chapter of Titus has led me to a thought and a question.

The thought: I am so thankful that God loves me with no strings attached.

The question: What can I do for others in appreciation of that love?

 

Dear God,

Lead me to serve you in response to the grace and mercy you have shown to me. Amen.


--Linda Mabe

No comments:

Post a Comment