Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my right hand."

Thursday, February 18, 2021

First Thursday of Lent by Pam Day 2/18/21

 Scripture Reading: Psalm 37:1-18


“Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” 
-Psalm 37:4 NIV


I was always taught that during Lent I needed to give up something. Forty days without something that I liked or loved. I remember giving up things like chocolate, sweet tea, fast food—the list goes on. Then one year, the pastor said to me, “you don’t always have to give up something, you can always add something to your life.” What could I add? I decided to add an early morning meditation. Now those who know me know that I am NOT a morning person. So, getting up 30 minutes earlier than I really wanted to was a challenge for me.

But isn’t that what it is all about? The challenge? It’s a journey of sacrifice. We walk with Jesus throughout Lent as he makes the solemn and inevitable journey to his crucifixion. But that is not the end. In the end there is resurrection. In the end, there is JOY. So, I challenged myself to make the time to delight in the Lord. Time to be “all in” with the Lord and all that he is. Even through Lent, surely there is time for joy. 

So I did it. For 40 days, I got up 30 minutes earlier to spend that time with God. Each morning, I meditated. I focused on breathing. I tried to stop my mind from wandering. I reflected on the JOY God’s presence brings to my life. I’m not sure I ever got good at meditating, but I loved how it made me feel each day. I was energized. I felt more in tune with myself and with God.

Psalm 37 tells us: “If you are delighting yourself in the Lord, and He gives you your heart’s desires, then your desires would certainly be in line with His desires.”  Right? As we move forward during this Lenten season let us all include a thought and prayer for the JOY of our life.

 

Dear God,

My heart desires you.  Give me a reminder of your goodness today. Thank you for the joy in my life. Amen.


--Pam Day

No comments:

Post a Comment